Reflective post

This term we were introduced to Art Portfolio. I was a excited but also a bit anxious as i did not want to disappoint myself by not keeping up with work as i had difficulties in the past with digital software. The anxious part was not true as from the first lesson of art portfolio i was fascinated and especially when we had specific themes handed to us to incorporate them in our own ways. From the three i chose Earthly delights as it attracted me more. I though i knew what i wanted to do with the subject which was to express the problems going on in our environment and create 6 pieces inspired by them. I later on narrowed it down and chose Wildfires. Another breakthrough for me was choosing to make my collection sustainable. When i first introduced myself to this concept i was overwhelmed and disappointed with myself for not being so aware of it in the past. My confidence for choosing the theme to be wildfires and be sustainable was boosted by my tutor Mrs Zoe Van de Velde as she sounded excited when i presented the concept to her. During this term of Art Portfolio i explored the upcoming trends for Spring/Summer 2021 which not only did they help me in designing my pieces but also influenced the way in which i will be dressing in the upcoming season. The research i held out to be inspired for my designs also helped me become more fashion wise and understand fashion better but also what matches with what and what could be done differently on a piece. This helped my judgement become better too as i could differentiate what i liked and disliked. The research on sustainability meaning artists which promote sustainability and sustainable materials opened my horizons and my way of thinking. Other than Stella McCartney becoming a major influencer for me as i read so many articles about her work for my deep research, the research helped me understand how the fashion industry works a bit better along with its negative impacts and made me realise that i do not want to be apart of it in the future. This helped me put more passion in my research for sustainable materials as i will be using them in the future when i will become a fashion designer eventually. Also they stayed in my mind hence when looking to buy clothes i will be looking for those materials as they are harmless or harm less. I think what also got me really excited for this term was the fact that i depended on myself and i the collection was up to me. Additionally the theme i chose really moved me as it was things which i enjoyed meaning the trends, the process of wildfires and how tragic they are but also the research. I also became fascinated with sustainability when I read 'Fashionopolis' in Contextual Studies which i also mentioned some of its content in my posts. Overall other than the Set project being up to us we also had to make it more realistic by adding names, materials and generally watching your sketches come to life is really moving and fascinating. I was happy that i finally got to develop and improve my digital skills through my personal research but also practising by myself and then for the set project. Finally being able to say this is fascinating or i will make this digitally is something i am proud of finally achieving as i had difficulties in the past. This module was not only my favourite because i would showcase my collection at the end of the term but also because we got to learn about other artists as well including Georgia O'Keefe, David Bowie, Odilon Redon and Alfred Stieglitz which were really inspiring people each one in his or hers own form. Without this module i would not have even looked them up as i was unaware of them. Also the fact that the lectures were practise for the actual lectures of next year was really helping but also the fact that we could state our opinion in the posts when writing about them was something that excited me as i like analysing people, their actions and their art.
Overall Art Portfolio this term was very enjoyable and fascinating and i was excited to be a part of it.

Comments

Popular Posts